Astonishingly large fairings, which blend thick, blunted leading edge, wing and fuselage creating an aerodynamic continuum, are one of design key features.
By eliminating acute angles and producing lift, this organic shape reduces
both drag due to wing-fuselage interference effects and drag due to the gap in the lift distribution across the span at the fuselage.
This means that KATANA is designed to be efficient at high angles of attack a
condition in which an aerobatic aircraft spends much of its flying time.
- Single seat aerobatic aircraft for competition, air-show and sport.
- Cantilever monoplane of tapered planform.
- Specially developed symmetrical wing section, variable along span, with blunted leading - edge and cut trailing - edge thickness/chord ratio 20% at root, 12% at tip.
- No dihedral or incidence.
- Wing of all metal structure (2024 T3) with main spar, rear auxiliary spar and riveted aluminium alloy skin.
- All metal ailerons actuated by pushrods.
- No flaps.
- Welded chrome-molybdenum steel tube frame with removable
composite skin panels.
- TAIL UNIT
- All metal structure (2024 T3).
- Cantilever tailplane and fin. Horn balanced rudder.
- Elevator actuated by pushrods, rudder by cables.
- Elevator's servo tab, trim electrically actuated.
- LANDING GEAR
- Non-retractable tailwheel type. Mainwheels carried on flat-spring aluminium alloy cantilever legs.
- Hydraulically-actuated differential brake control system operated by the pedals from the cockpit.
- Fully pivoting tailwheel with alluminium alloy flat-spring.
- POWER PLANT
- Textron Lycoming AEIO-540/580, 300/315 HP, engine driving a 3/4 biade constant-speed propeller.
- Aerobatic fuel tanks in fuselage, aft of firewall, capacity 50 litres.
- Integral, wing-root leading-edge, cruise tanks capacity 2x60 litres.
- Single seat under fully-transparent bubble canopy which can be jettisoned in an emergency. 45 degree seating posture. Internal cockpit width of 730 mm.
- STANDARD EQUIPMENT
- Electrical system of 12 V includes an alternator as main power source and a battery.
- Starter motor with external power socket for engine starting.
- Basic instrument panel: accelerometer, vertical speed indicator, airspeed, altimeter, compass, slip indicator, engine RPM tachometer, manifold pressure-fuel flow, oil temperature-oil pressure ind, cylinder head temp. ind.
- Radio installed with antenna and push-to-talk switch on cloche.
- Inverted fuel system.
- Inverted oil system.
- Parking brake.